Pages

Monday, March 3, 2014

Dining Room Hutch

We had been looking for a hutch to store all of our wedding dishes in for a few months. When my husband found this one on Craigslist for $100, we jumped on it. I knocked this thing out in a day (which is not normal) because I was on a roll.

Supplies: Wood filler, sander, latex paint, unsanded grout, foam roller, paint brush, furniture paste and an old t-shirt or cloth.

I removed all of the old hardware and filled in a couple of the holes with wood filler because the new hardware was a different size. As the wood filler was drying, I began painting other areas. The paint recipe I use is great because it requires NO sanding or priming before you start. All you need to do is wipe the piece of furniture down to make sure it is clean of dirt and dust.

Paint recipe:

1 cup latex paint (I used Valspar Semigloss in Mystique here)

2 tablespoons unsanded grout

Mix well to get rid of any powder chunks and paint away!

I completed 3 coats on the entire piece and let it dry completely. To seal and protect the paint, I generously applied Paste Finishing wax with an old t-shirt. Just make sure whatever you use is lint free. I went back with a clean piece of the t-shirt and wiped it down. You only want to wait about 10 minutes in between applying the paste and wiping it off.

I drilled new holes for the new hardware and put the new knobs and pulls on. We chose to take the grid out of the window and just keep the glass pane in the doors. As an added touch, I popped off the back of the hutch and applied some left over wallpaper from our dining room to it. We stapled the wallpapered panel back on and voila!
Picture

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
DESIGN BY THE BLOG DECORATOR